Welcome and thanks for visiting our website!
Even though our Headquarters office was not operational during the “Stay Home” period from mid-March to mid-May, Democrats have been actively working and Headquarters is once again open from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Masks are required to enter.
In compliance with social distancing regulations, we’ve entered a brave new world of virtual communication. The following is a brief recap of our activities:
- Via Zoom, over 90 party members participated in our first ever virtual County Convention on Saturday, April 25. Canton Mayor Zeb Smathers delivered an inspirational keynote address and local candidates spoke about their campaigns. Delegates were elected to represent the county at the 2020 District and State Conventions.
- Thanks to financial support from the NC Democratic Party and the technical expertise of their staff, over 9600 Democrats met in their respective counties throughout the state on April 25
- Again with the assistance of the NC Democratic Party, all 13 Congressional Districts held conventions on Saturday, April 25 via Zoom. US House candidate Moe Davis provided the keynote address for the District 11 Convention. Haywood County was represented with 41 delegates.
- On May 16, over 2,000 Democrats participated via Zoom in the NC Democratic Party State Convention. Many candidates, including Governor Roy Cooper and former Vice President Joe Biden, provided campaign updates via video. Again, Haywood County was represented with delegates.
- Our Executive Committee met via Zoom in May and June.
- The Haywood County Democratic Women held their first Zoom meeting on June 18. Officers were elected to serve for the 2020 – 2022 term and NC Senator Terry Van Duyn gave a very informative legislative update.
- Our Strategic Planning group is busy modifying our previous plan and getting volunteers organized for our 2020 Get Out the Vote activities.
COMING SOON: More candidate information. A complete candidate slate will be available after the filing period ends in mid-July for Haywood County School Board, Soil and Water Commission and Sanitary Districts.
What We Stand For
Democrats from across the state are united by shared values that define who we are and what we stand for. That means fighting to ensure all North Carolinians have a fair shot at a good life, regardless of their background, where they came from, what they’re worth, or who they love.
Candidates who won the Democratic primaries for Election Day Tuesday November 3
President – Joe Biden – Not the official candidate. Won the NC primary.
US Senate – Cal Cunningham
US House – Moe Davis
Governor – Roy Cooper
Lt. Governor – Yvonne Lewis Holley
Secretary of State- Elaine Marshall
Attorney General – Josh Stein
NC Auditor – Beth Wood
Commissioner of Agriculture – Jenna Wadsworth
Superintendent of Public Instruction – Jen Mangrum
Commissioner of Labor – Jessica Holmes
NC Treasurer – Ronnie Chatterji
Commissioner Of Insurance – Wayne Goodwin
Haywood County Board of Commissioners
Leah Hampton – Waynesville West Precinct
David Young – Saunook Precinct
NC House District 118 (the seat vacated by Michele Presnell):
Alan Jones – Beaverdam 5/6 Precinct
NC House District 119
Joe Sam Queen
NC Senate District 50 (the seat vacated by Jim Davis)
Victoria Fox – Beaverdam 3 Precinct
To dig into details of the results, visit https://er.ncsbe.gov/.
Fun Items for Sale
Show your true colors. Drop by Headquarters and show your support for the Haywood Democrats by picking up one of our great new T-shirts, buttons, or bumper stickers. Make America Smart Again!